Friday, October 15, 2010

Band Aid: The Next Rock N Roller Coaster Group

Let me start off by saying, I'm a big fan of Aerosmith.  I really am.  In fact, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was the first upside down attraction I had ever attempted at ANY park....EVER.  And that was at the ripe young age of....23 years old.... (yeah...I was a late bloomer).  The idea of having Aerosmith blasting in my ears the whole time was enough of an inspiration to take on this major challenge.

However, the past couple years have tested the bond of the group that is Aerosmith.  At one point Steven Tyler had reportedly left the band, which was soon rumored to be auditioning lead singers.  Then the band got back together and announced a tour.  But now Steven Tyler has replaced Simon Cowell as a judge on American Idol.  So at some point we have to step back and think "at what point do we replace Aerosmith as the featured band of Rock 'N' Roller Coaster?".  Which is then followed by the question:  Who is should that band be?

Picking out a rock group for Rock 'N' Roller Coaster sounds easy enough....but I believe there are some criteria that need to be met.  First...the band has to have reached or be near "legendary" status.  Different people will interrupt that different ways.  But the band in question has to have maintained a consistently high level over multiple decades.  While I'm a huge fan of bands like Rise Against, Disturbed, and Billy Talent...I'll be the first to admit that they aren't quite at "legendary" status (though they would make fantastic soundtracks to a thrill ride!!)  Along the same lines, the band does have to be somewhat mainstream and well known among potential park visitors.

Second...and some may disagree....but our band needs to be a ROCK band.  While I'm sure some would love to see country music represented...and there have been the annoying rumors about Hannah Montana....it's right there in the name...ROCK 'N' Roller Coaster.

Third, the band needs to be somewhat family appropriate.  Granted, by nature rock is about pushing boundaries.  Aerosmith, for example, has a "couple" lyrics that I wouldn't want to have to explain to my kids.  But they have enough "clean" songs to make them acceptable for a Disney Theme Park...I guess.

So, before this post gets longer than an awards show broadcast...here is my short list of potential Rock 'N' Coaster bands:

5)  U2 - I don't think there is any denying the U2's legendary status.  Bono is a household name and even the White House takes meetings with him.  Plus I like the idea of having a certain percentage of profits go to one of Bono's causes (much like Animal Kingdom does).  But, I'm just not sure that some of their biggest songs are adrenaline-pumping enough for one of the biggest thrill rides in WDW.  As much as I love "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" I just don't think it works for our purposes.

4)  Metallica -  I know this selection will give a certain Betamouse Co-Host "hot tears".  But they have to be considered.  They are living rock legends.  Certainly Metallica has the rock power to fuel our thrill ride.  However, I have concerns about having a band who had one of their key members killed in a bus accident serve as the face of an attraction whose ride vehicle is a automobile.  Maybe I'm off base there.

3)  Van Halen - I'm not just throwing this one in for the Len Testa fans out there.  Van Halen can bring it...obviously.  And with a new album expected next year, now would be the time to do it.  But then you open yourself up to the whole David vs. Sammy debate (and Gary? OK...not really)  And we don't need that kind of controversy.

2)  AC/DC - This is actually my personal favorite selection on the list.  Talk about adrenaline-pumping!!!  A bucketful of pounding hits that are practically a thrill ride on their own.  "TNT" blasting while hitting a corkscrew at 60 mph would be unbelievable!!!  Unfortunately I'm not sure a couple of my favorite songs would be able to make the cut.  "Highway To Hell" and "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" might not work in a Disney Park.  Plus, they may not have quite the mainstream appeal as our #1 pick.....

1)  Bon Jovi - I think Bon Jovi  best meets the criteria laid out above.  First rising to popularity back in the '80s, Jon Bon Jovi and his band mates are beginning their 4th decade (seriously?!?!) of stardom.  They are popular among multiple generations (my 4 year old can bust out a pretty mean "Living On a Prayer").  They are mainstream enough to appeal to just about anyone.  Recently they've even gone cross-genre by dabbling in country (those songs will NOT be feature on our attraction, of course).  And the songs have the driving pace necessary for a thrill ride.  Which, I think, makes Bon Jovi the perfect fit for "Rock 'N' Roller Coaster featuring Bon Jovi".

Now....who do YOU think should be the next RnRC band???  Let the debate begin!!!

1 comment:

  1. So all good choices but ultimately why not just keep the name but drop the starring part and then have a different set list in each stretch limo of a bunch of different rock bands. Then just change up the pre show a bit same concept but keep the band were rushing to see vague? This way won't have to go through the hassle of replacing bands to keep up with the times.

    ReplyDelete