Friday, December 3, 2010

Something To Be Thankful For

Welcome back.  Hope you members of the board enjoyed your week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.  I know I certainly did.  It being Thanksgiving and all, it gave me ample cause to sit back and reflect on the things about Walt Disney World that I'm most thankful for.

Most briefings that come out of the Fantasyland Boardroom have been about what I'd change about The World.  Often I'm concerned it sounds like my laundry list of improvements may be taken as a negative...that I'm knocking Walt Disney World or the company in general.  Quite frankly, nothing could be further from the truth.  Walt Disney World is my "happy place".  It's where I go, either physically or mentally, when I just need to get away from the grind of reality.  Over the years I've spent countless hours spending time in The World, planning for the next big trip, listening to podcasts, listening to WDW music, reading WDW blogs....absorbing anything and everything related to this magical place.

So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I want to discuss a handful of the things about Walt Disney World that I'm thankful for.  In fact, let's make that the Top 10 things I'm thankful for.  In the words of Peter Pan "heeeerrreee we goooooooo":

10) Rock N' Roller Coaster - I've never exactly been a thrill seeker.  Rock N' Roller Coaster was the first coaster I ever attempted that went upside down.  I was 23 years old and on my honeymoon.  My beautiful new bride insisted that we go on it (she's much more of the adventurous one).  I still remember trying to hide my nervousness throughout the queue...hoping to fool my wife into believing she'd married a real tough guy (I don't think it worked).  The thought of Aerosmith definitely helped piqued my eagerness...but it never covered up the fact that this ride would go upside down.  Turns out...I LOVED it.  And it's still to this day my wife's favorite ride.  Therefore it will always have a special place in my heart.

9) The use of water - OK...this may sound like a stretch.  But I just love what Disney does with water.  Whether it be the attractions that take place on water (see #8)....or the Disney water features (Bay Lake, the Sassagoula River, etc.) that add so much to the landscape of Walt Disney World, as well as provide alternate means of travel.  Even the fun ways they include water as a way to cool guests off in the hot Florida summer.  If WDW is the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture, water deserves a nod for Best Supporting Actor (or Actress...either way).

8) Splash Mountain - No other attraction in the world (not just Walt Disney World) does such a masterful job of marrying story and thrills.  This is the prime example of what Disney does.  From start to finish the attraction follows a story.  Even the 52 foot drop is part of the story...it's not just "thrown in" for fun.  That's what should be expected of EVERY attraction!!!

7) The resorts - Growing up in Seattle, Disneyland was "my" Disney Park.  We made the 2000 mile trek once every three or so years.  To this day I have NEVER stayed at a Disneyland hotel.  And, in fact, on my first trip to WDW as a senior in high school we also stayed off property (Holiday Inn Sunspree).  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the off-property hotels I've stayed at.  But when I finally had the opportunity to stay on-property on my honeymoon, my mind was blown.  Disney resorts are more than hotels...they are attractions in their own right.  That same attention to detail that is found in the Parks can be found at each of these resorts...which is something that you just can't find at a Holiday Inn or Ramada.  And that was the main driver for my family to eventually become Disney Vacation Club members.

6) Big Thunder Mountain - I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite ride.  But Big Thunder has consistently been one of my favorites since as far back as I can remember.  It's kinda like that old toy you've had forever. Each birthday you may get something newer and flashier...but you'll always have a special place in your heart for that one old toy.  That toy for me is Big Thunder Mountain.

5) Theming - This is stating the obvious, but theming is what makes Disney....Disney.  Only Disney seems to have mastered the ability to completely transport you to distant lands....whether it be in the past, present, or future....or even worlds of fantasy and imagination.  When you walk down Main Street, you're in turn-of-the-century America...and then BOOM.... just like that you are seamlessly transported to a futuristic land of tomorrow.  Every detail is tended to to sell the "illusion"...and it works to perfection.

4) World Showcase - As I mentioned in a previous briefing, I LOVE World Showcase.  It is my favorite part of any Disney Park.  So much to discover....hidden nooks and crannies in every pavilion.  So much to experience, whether it be new cuisine and beverages or just details about other cultures and countries.  I just cannot get enough World Showcase.  I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.

3)  The Cast Members - They are truly what sets Walt Disney World apart from, not only any other vacation destination, but from any other consumer business in general.  Any company is going to have it's all star employees.  But WDW has them by thousands.  Nearly every one of the tens of thousands of cast members are focused on providing each guest with a vacation chalked full of magical moments and memories.

2)  The Music - This relates back to the previously mentioned theming...but I just can't get enough Disney Park audio.  Each piece of music supports the theme of the land or attraction it can be found in perfectly.  So much so, simply putting my headphones on at work and cuing up some International Gateway tunes...or some Main Street Entrance music instantly takes me away from whatever mundane task I was previously absorbed by.  For those couple minutes the outside world is dead to me and I'm surrounded by the sounds and feelings that can only be provided by Disney.
1) Quality Time - I'm going to sound like a Disney marketing video here for a moment....but one minute spent in The World with family and/or friends seems like it is worth two hours anywhere else.  The time spent sharing experiences with the ones you love just can't be accurately described in words.  It's just a feeling.  And it just seems with Walt Disney World, you are guaranteed that quality time on EVERY trip.  And that's why we keep going back.  It's a sure bet!!!

I've no doubt missed plenty of big things here.  It's not as easy as it sounds to come up with JUST ten things.  So help me out here...what'd I miss?  What about The World are YOU thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. Great list!
    World showcase is absolutely one of my favorites.. I do a few laps every trip! Oh - and I love that you said Big Thunder is like that old toy. That's a perfect way to say that! For me - simply the magic of walking down Main Street towards the Castle - even if I don't see any of the Main Street crew or stop in any stores.. it just makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete